Thursday, January 8, 2009

Sometimes I have to go out of town for work ...

... and it's both good and bad. Today I'm leaving on a two-day trip to South Texas for a trade show. I don't have to be away from home too often with my job, but from time to time, it happens.

Thing 1 doesn't get too sad about it anymore - mostly because she trusts that I will bring home surprises if I'm able to (and I usually find a way to do so). Thing 2, being only 4, still gets a little teary-eyed on occasion.

Being away from home when I'm on these work trips is both good and bad. It's bad because I DO miss them while I'm away. Those phone calls before bedtime just don't compare to a goodnight hug and kiss.

The good part is that I get a little "me" time ... even if the trip is work-related. I can watch whatever I want on TV, and it's usually not Sponge Bob or Spiderman cartoons. I actually get total control of the remote (sorry, honey)! I can lounge in the hotel bathtub ... drink a glass of wine ... read a book - all at the same time!

Or, I can sleep.

Mom's need time away from all the home and family responsibilities sometimes, if for no other reason, just to rejuvenate. I come back mentally refreshed and ready to be a Mom again.

My husband is a terrific father. I couldn't ask for better. The kids are in good hands with him, so I have no worries at all.

So if you ask me if I feel guilty being away from the kids ...
... I'll truthfully answer, "not really." :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment