Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

In addition to the now familiar resolution we all have (everyone, sing together now!) like losing weight, getting organized, and finding more time for ourselves/our families, I have another one that I'd really like to throw some weight behind (no pun intended).

I'd like to take on a more active role in my children's education. Realistically, I know I don't have the time to be Room Mother or anything like that. But as Thing 1 approaches 2nd grade and Thing 2 approaches Kindergarten, this is becoming more and more important to me.

Recently I discovered Bill Bennett. He's a former Secretary of Education under Ronald Reagan. He does a conservative political talk show in the mornings, and I love to listen to him on my commute into work. He's written several books on U.S. history, politics, faith, family values, and education.

So the first part of my new years resolution will be to purchase this book and read it cover to cover. Among many other great things, The Educated Child: A Parents Guide From Preschool Through Eighth Grade features an outline of what to expect--or demand, in some cases--in the K-8 essentials.

Once read, I plan to put Dr. Bennett's great ideas and resources to work with my own children's education in 2009 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment