Monday, March 16, 2009

Life Is Uncertain. Eat Dessert First. Or Upside Down.

Okay, so day 1 of Spring Break didn't exactly go according to plan. We left home with the best intentions. But wound up not doing the activities we'd planned for the first day, canceling our hotel reservations in Glen Rose, and getting a room in Burnet.

The first day was a bust. Thing 2 wasn't feeling well when we left, but we thought he'd snap out of it once we got to the cave. As my husband was in line for tickets, Thing 2 promptly threw up ... on the floor in the lobby of the cave. We waited for a while to see if he would feel better, but no dice. Rather than subject him to a 2 1/2 hour car ride up to Glen Rose, or a 1 hour car ride back home, we just got a hotel in Burnet.

So after a bit of a rest, it was time to get some dinner. Thing 2 seemed to have rebounded and was starving. It hit him again at the restaurant and he didn't even touch his dinner. My husband took him out to the car while Thing 1 and I finished up.

The buffet included dessert, and not being the type to pass up a free dessert, Thing 1 and I decided to take part. Thing 1 is a keen observer. She can spot the smallest speck from great distances. It's amazing what she sees and finds.

Her powers of observation are not limited to what she can see, however. She is also pretty insightful. So tonight while we were eating our chocolate cake, she turned her piece of cake over so that the icing was on the bottom. When I asked her why she did that, this was her reply. "This way", she said, "the best part of the cake goes into my mouth first."

So I'm amending the old saying (that my mother loves) to read: Life Is Uncertain. Eat Dessert First. Or Upside Down.

Photo courtesy of Sifu Renka.

2 comments:

  1. That is analytical thinking at its best. Smart girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so too, but I am a little biased ...

    ReplyDelete