Friday, April 17, 2009

Phone Call From a Friend

This evening when we got home, the answering machine was blinking at us. We had a message. As Dude and Sister were running around being noisy, I tried to listen to the voicemail. I quickly realized as I was listening, that this message wasn't for me or my husband.

It was for Sister!

Her little friend Candice from her class had called and left her number so we could call back. It was a very cute message too. Candice was obviously coached by her mother on what to say and to use polite manners. I could also hear her Mom in the background whispering each digit in their phone number as Candice recited it back into the phone. Very cute.

So then it was our turn. I told Sister what to say and gave her some pointers on what to do if Candice wasn't available. They chatted for about 15 minutes about mostly observational stuff. Some examples: "I have an orange cat." "No, that was just my little brother." "My Mom's cooking dinner." (Author's note: Since when does peanut butter and honey sandwiches count as "cooking" dinner?) Then the phone was turned over to the Moms.

The girls had set up a play date for this coming Sunday, and oh, "is it okay, Mom?" So, it looks like we'll be heading to the park for a couple of hours on Sunday. Should be fun!

I'm constantly reminded - on a daily basis, it seems - that my little girl is growing up.

Photo courtesy of Jason Nicholls.

No comments:

Post a Comment